Fruit VS. Food: Arroyo Chop House

Pears
After doing some heavy negotiating with a tough lawyer a.k.a. Dad (told him I made reservations and if I canceled last minute, they would charge a fat cancellation fee. Ha! Hey, my parents used to tell us white lies all the time), I was finally able to drag my parents with me to Pasadena and try out Arroyo Chop House. My Dad's been having an increased appetite for red meat so I wanted to take the folks out to a place that's known for it.

Arroyo Chop House

When you get there, the sign is on the side where it faces the road. If you don't spot the sign, you'll know you're at the right place when you see this vine-covered building. 


There is only valet parking available but guess what? It's complimentary, so just tip the valet dude after you dine. The cars are parked within the vicinity so there's not a long wait when they retrieve it for you.


We got there a little after 6 p.m. so the place wasn't packed yet. We sat at the waiting area for about 10 minutes then the hostess led us to our table. I thought we were going to be seated at the main area where the bar was at but they directed us to a connecting room where it was much more quiet.

Oh how I love the dimly lit ambiance, with dark wood shutters and all. I also love how they space out the tables well, unlike other hip places that charge you so much money but you'd probably end up sitting on someone by accident because your table is THAT close to each other. Those kinda places are definitely taking "rubbing elbows" to another level.


Fret not, they do place lights strategically towards every table so you're not eating your food blindly.


And now to the fun stuff! We started off with some Chop House Garlic Bread. My Dad is a sucker for garlic bread so he pretty much murdered the bread basket.


Barbecued Shrimp Salad. This was not a frou-frou kind of salad and surprisingly, I really loved it! They serve the shrimp warm and the dressing had the right amount of spiciness.



My Mom and I ordered the Rotisserie Chicken.


and Dad got the Pork Chop. He said it's one of the best he's ever tasted.


For the sides, we got the Mac & Cheese, Black Forest Ham. Merlin's beard, you must order this when you visit!



Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Lobster Mashed Potatoes. I would skip the lobster one and keep the garlic.




When ordering, keep in mind that the servings are generous. Mom and I ordered two chickens 'coz we thought it was gonna be like those little swanky places with little swanky servings---you know, the ones where you take five little bites and dinner is over, and the check is worth a hundred In-N-Out burgers (and a couple of animal-style fries) --- but this was not that kind of place. In fact, the chicken that we ordered was a HALF CHICKEN each. So I literally didn't touch my chicken and just took it to go, like the rest of the side dishes that we couldn't even put a dent on.

For dessert, we ordered the Grand Marnier Souffle. This takes around 45 minutes to make so if you're going to want to try any of the souffles, make sure to put that order in at the same time with the appetizers and such.

Uhm, yea I was too excited that I didn't get to take a picture before our waiter distributed the souffle among the three of us. But still, YUM. And yes, the souffle was huge.


Thank God for old parents, because they hate super sweet stuff, which means I get to finish off all of this goodness right here. OOPS! Did I just say that out loud?


Nah...if they read this blog, they wouldn't be too old to whoop my hiney for calling them "old". Attractive parents, right? They got that from me. Ha!


In all seriousness though, why is it that we only realize as we get older, how much quality time we need to spend with our parents ? Back in high school and in college, I always wanted to hang out with my friends and go some place where my parents won't "bug" me. Maybe it all lies on the level of experience and maturity as one gets older. I am slowly realizing all the sacrifices that my parents had to make for my own welfare, and how they were right all along for disagreeing with me and the premature decisions that I've made in the past...meh, who am I kidding--- STUPID decisions.

I only hope to have the luxury of time, so I could make more meaningful memories with my parents, and to be able to repay them in kind by taking care of them as they have always taken good care of me.


Remember that as we are busy getting married, having babies, falling in love, climbing the corporate ladder, Photoshopping selfie pictures... our parents are getting old too. Don't just say you love them, SHOW THEM just how much.

 Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top